Cough Assist Management
Cough assist machines are a key element in management of specific group of patients – enabling them to maintain their independence, preventing hospitalisations and respiratory complications increasing comfort, autonomy and wellbeing of patients . Indisputably in many cases (frequently) increasing lifespan of patients.
We train your staff in the use of such machines and on a specific device(s) of your choice. Bedside management and follow-up training can also be provided on request.
This course is for Nurses and all healthcare providers (carers/physioterapist
and others) looking after patients with neuromuscular conditions requiring the use of cough assist device in order to clear their secretions (and remain infection free).
- Manual vs mechanical cough assist – when to use which ?
- Indications/ contraindications/ risks and benefits of mechanical cough assist device
- How to assemble, clean and maintain cough assist machine
- Infection prevention
- Machine settings and frequency of use
- Machines most commonly available on the UK market, their specifics, advantages and disadvantages.
- Use of interface (mouthpiece/face-mask, traceostomy tube connector)
- When to raise concern
- Management of emergencies
Please note: Procedures and practical sessions are simulated on a maniquin